This position is responsible for the research, testing and evaluation of new technologies and innovative concepts which will lead to specifications and incorporation of these concepts into successful commercial products.
• Keep abreast of newly emerging technologies which Bunn may utilize in the future.
• Liaise between core teams, management and suppliers to help bring these technologies into product designs
• Generate innovative solutions and ideas for new products and features, prove them out, refine them for production readiness, help incorporate into production equipment.
• Keep up with food safety and product safety requirements both domestic and foreign.
• Consult internally and with suppliers regarding polymers, composites, metals (with emphasis on SST), glass, and rubber materials; practical knowledge of plastic molding is a need.
• Strong contributor to implement best practices for the practical application of materials for use in the beverage industry
• Plan and facilitate meetings with appropriate personnel to keep projects on time.
• Develop detailed materials testing and evaluation plans that define key activities, timelines and resource requirements to achieve objectives.
• Coordinate and respond to “request for change” from teams and other departments.
• Coordinate testing programs with outside laboratories.
• Assist the Quality department in specifications and related documents for defining new technology implementation.
• Utilize lessons learned to communicate success and failures to teams.
• Lead a small team of engineers and technicians in practical research and development.
Bachelor's degree in mechanical, electrical, or materials engineering, related technical discipline or equivalent experience is required; experience managing a test lab and large scope product development projects is a plus; 10 years experience with a strong technical aptitude; knowledge of polymers, composites, metals (with emphasis on SST), glass, and rubber materials; practical knowledge of plastic molding is a plus, strong background in the practical application of materials for use in the beverage industry; strong knowledge of material outgassing, leaching and plasticizer behavior in application; an understanding of failure mechanisms of polymers in application and failure modes of SST in hot water; a good knowledge of chemistry, in particular with interactions with materials is a strong plus; selection of the best combination of materials for specific purposes; testing of materials to assess resistance to heat, corrosion, or chemical attack in application; understanding of the manufacturing environment for materials and processes, and their contribution to product performance and life; work with engineering technicians and share knowledge, technical and scientific support; hands-on approach to testing, set-ups and making tools for evaluations with non-ASTM testing methods; must be aware of the cost impact of materials selections; must be able to communicate testing intent and result requirements when dealing with outside testing labs; ability to manage internal development projects from inception to successful implementation; previously demonstrated ability in problem solving skills; ability to build and maintain effective relationships with internal groups and vendors; and interact effectively with all levels of the organization; ability to use appropriate computer skills for communication and applicable tasks. Demonstrated creativity for problem solving and innovative design is required.